Wednesday, November 16, 2016




A well-meaning friend called me up to tell me about this 'documentary' on Reelz not too long ago. She knows how much I love the Carpenters and wanted to let me know it was on, which, at first, I thought was good as it was new to me and I had not heard about it at all and have always just absolutely loved Karen's amazing voice and been charmed by how sweet and kind she seemed as a person.

Not too far into watching 'Goodbye to Love,' though, I realized it was going the way of tabloid tv rather than PBS (which has also shown a documentary on Karen, and her brother, and actually is a documentary).

I am sure they had good intentions being involved with the production of 'Goodbye to Love,' but Karen's friends and acquaintances showing up in interview clips stuck in between very tacky actor reenactments...well, it all just struck me as very sad and very wrong and very disrespectful and I had to stop watching mid-way through.

What happened to Karen was something full of sorrow and full of a personal horror that only Karen herself could truly know and that she suffered in silence and to have people speculating about what caused her anorexia and what was in her heart and to have tv producers spinning her story like it is something sensational for ratings...well, that just adds a whole other kind of sadness to something that still feels as heartbreaking as if it just happened yesterday.

No comments: