Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Don't get me wrong, I am happy for people who are happy about the holidays and spending their Christmas with their family. I don't begrudge them a single thing and wish them well, with all of my heart and soul. The problem is how some happy holiday people treat those of us who (often unbeknownst to them) struggle deeply.

"Did you see your family yesterday?" Someone asked me the day after Thanksgiving.

"No," I said, quietly, moving on to ask them about their holiday.

"You didn't go see your parents?" This person persisted, a look of judgment on her face that was unmistakable and piercing.

"It's kind of a long story," I mumbled, in a kind of jokey voice, hoping she would just drop it.

She must have seen the look on my face because she did, but she does this each major holiday and never seems to understand that I don't want to explain or talk about it. She doesn't need nor have to know that my situation has to do with my being gay and coming from a family that is so homophobic and strictly religious to say it is suffocating is putting it mildly.

I long to say to holiday happy people: please don't judge those of us who don't see their families at Christmas or those who choose to clam up about it. Not only is it not your business, it is something you are judging (sometimes harshly and unfairly) without knowing anything about the situation.

The holidays are not a happy time for everyone and as long as we are not being a Scrooge about it and not commenting on how you spend your holidays, I think we have a right to be left alone in our answering and in our being subject to scrutiny.

No comments: