Friday, March 19, 2010

Lost Girls and Love Hotels: A Novel (P.S.)

Lately I've been catching up with all the things that had lost their buzz for me...maybe because I'd been tired or a little less passionate than I'm used to being about books. Anyway, the important thing is that I'm loving books more than ever and lucking out in finding some great ones.

The great thing about short story collections and non-fiction is that I can read them and still fit in a novel...all three types of books in different rooms of my place ready for me to pick up where I left off.

The problem with the zombie ones and Lost Girls and Love Hotels is that I can't put them down. Lost Girls is so quirky and funny and dark and mysterious plus (this is shallow!) the cover is very eye-catching!:)

As you may be able to tell from the cover Margaret is not the best role model in the world, but she's been through a lot and is trying to escape her painful past (and less than thrilling job at Air-Pro Stewardess Training Institute) by losing herself in drugs and sex in Tokyo's exotic night life.

Those scenes can be pretty explicit, but the sadness and genuine pain she's in when she's trying to forget is unbelievably barren and almost strangely familiar to anyone hoping for a little oblivion.

Lost Girls is unlike anything I've read in a while;I have a feeling I'm going to be staying up late tonight reading this all the way through...having putting zombies aside....temporarily, of course!:)

p.s.

I just found out that the book is being made into a movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0920462/

No comments: