Saturday, September 17, 2011

An Old Photo of Your New Lover

My Amazon widget page is missing! I can't access the pictures to post alongside what I'm writing about. I'm sure I can fix the problem, but for right now I'll upload my entry and then add the picture later for The One A.M. Radio's "An Old Photo of Your New Lover." If anyone knows why the widgets aren't working, feel free to let me know:)!

The song is really rather clever and spot on. The first time it goes through the chorus it leads up with a little story about a man finding an old picture of his new girlfriend and feeling left out of her life, even though he hadn't met her at that point.

The second time the chorus approaches it twists the title around with "A New Photo of An Old Lover." Now the song is about the man discovering to "his chagrin" (online? we never know for sure) how his former flame is doing by finding a new picture of her.

Both times the verses are followed with: "There's a world without you" and that part is so profound...so profound, maybe even layered with more than one meaning.

The first world is one I can't truly relate to, but the second is a different story and all too familiar because of a little thing called Facebook: that weird and instant flicker in your heart when you see someone who used to mean so much to you, as they are today, not when you last saw them.

The "world without you" part? I can't figure out which scenario is more painful, even as both are true: there is a "world without you," certainly before and certainly after.

And rationally I think most of us know this when we're in relationships or when they've ended. But knowing that doesn't take the sting away.

As for the "chagrin" part? Don't even get me started!:) Because that's true, too.

No comments: