Friday, November 18, 2011

Sit Calm, Lessons from Tv

"Just because something needs to be told doesn't always mean it needs to be heard."- Kevin on "How I Met Your Mother"

Simple words, but oh so true! Lately, it seems, when I'm looking for a sign I get it from a tv sitcom, of all places.

Kevin's words from "How I Met Your Mother" remind me of something a friend told me when I was wrestling with desperately wanting to apologize to someone for something from long ago.

"Who is this apology helping more? You or the person you hurt?"

It made me think. I would love nothing more than to make amends for something I did in my past. I truly regret what I did and would never have ever intentionally hurt this person.

But is it really worth it to her, if I risk digging up the painful past and bad memories?

If a confession works better for us than the person we're confessing to, maybe it should be left alone...sometimes closure just has to come from knowing there will never be closure.

And if you're lucky, coming to accept that will help (even if just a little bit) calm the hornet's nest stirring inside you.




No comments: