Saturday, November 12, 2011

So much fun







I wish all 18th century novels were as much fun as this deliciously humorous one. I was feeling kind of down this morning and went over to my bookshelf to see if I could find something to pull me out of myself. And there was Tom Jones, a book I last read twenty years ago, waiting for me.

It's the kind of classic that is fresh and exciting, defying stereotypes (at least stereotypes that a lot of students believe) that classics are boring.

I love the chapter headings, especially this one:

Containing such grave matter that the reader cannot laugh once through the whole chapter, unless peradventure he should laugh at the author.

I wish Henry Fielding had written more; his books really make me laugh! Joseph Andrews and Shamela are two of my other favorite 18th century novels and are both by him. The formality of words from so long ago combined with a timeless sense of wit just floors me!:)

No comments: