Sunday, February 5, 2012

Last year I was a very bad reader, but this year I'm furiously making up for lost time thanks to iBooks and the Kindle app.

I never thought I would find electronic books so easy to use or even likable since I've always loved the smell of paper (both old and new) and the almost intimate relationship between reader and print book.

But the idea of being able to carry around so many books in my pocket, whipping out my device to read wherever I'm stuck waiting or in unexpected need of a good book...well, that's something. And through ebooks I've discovered surprisingly good writers like Q. Kelly, the author of the very quirky Miss Lucy Parker & Other Short Stories (just 99 cents through iBooks.)

I'd write more, but I'm too busy reading right now:) 


2 comments:

Lady Disdain said...

Yeah, I'm kind of reluctant to try eBooks as well, simply because I don't want to advocate what I feel (maybe foolishly) is the enemy of the printed book. And also, I'm just stubborn like that.

But I can see how it would be beneficial. Actually, I don't think I would have a problem with it as long as it could co-exist with printed books.

I'm always carting around books, too, to wherever so that if I end up having to wait for anyone or anything I can just whip it out and start reading. In that case I can see how extremely appealing a Kindle would be. But I really love the feel of holding a book in my hands, y'know? I don't want the printed book to die out *sniff*

just a girl said...

I do know; I also love the feel of holding a book in my hands. I have a deep conviction that printed books will never die. Maybe because so many other people feel the way we do? :)

I think the eBook and the printed one can peacefully exist! At least, I hope so!

Right now the only plus for eBooks that you can't give printed is privacy. ON the metro or at the Department of Motor Vehicles, you could pretty much be reading anything on your Kindle or iPod touch and no one would ever know!:)