Sunday, April 5, 2015

 
I think it's going to be a long night. Insomnia both blurs things and makes them sharper. I think I liked it better when I was listening to the birds earlier. There was definitely an air of optimism in their singing.

It's like my iPhone is mocking me."So Like A Rose" shuffled onto my player just a few minutes ago and I haven't heard it in a while and I forgot how painfully gorgeous it is...it took me by surprise.

Shirley Manson's actually more detached-sounding on this than even her usual (to me, she always either sounds angry or indifferent) and yet it's that detachment that really gets to me here. Sometimes, a lack of passion is really hiding a lot.

This is one of the most oddly beautiful songs from the 2000s. It's from the album Beautiful Garbage.

 
 
So Like a Rose
Song by Garbage
  • Baby thinks he's dying
    Lost inside his bedroom
    Mommy won't stop crying
    And daddy's always working
    There's no going back
    There's no going back
    There's no going back
    On this one
    Baby wakes up with the sun
    While everyone is sleeping
    He thinks he's going crazy
    But this could be the big one
    There's no going back
    There's no going back
    There's no going back
    Sleeping with ghosts
    It's such a lonely experience
    The stars are out tonight
    Only they can hear you breathing
    You're so like a rose
    You're so like a rose
    You're so like a rose
    I wish you could stay here

  •  
    Shuffle just put this on...I first discovered "My Fallen Angel" when I did a search for songs heavy on string instruments. I love the cello best of the string instruments (it's the most like the human voice) but the violin (featured here) is lovely too, of course. This is a simply amazing song, no matter the genre, but if you were searching for one, I guess you'd say "symphonic metal":
     
     
     

    No comments: