Thursday, June 18, 2015

Fringe therapy

There are times lately when I think the only thing I still care about is watching "Fringe" on what feels like an endless loop. I have no passion for food anymore and really only eat because I have low blood sugar and I cannot concentrate on a book for longer than twenty minutes without putting it down. Even music does not feel the same to me lately. I blame this on both me and my insomnia, which lately (because insomnia actually feels like it can take up residence inside me) feel like the same thing.

When I cannot sleep at night, which is often, I watch my "Fringe" dvds. I bought the complete series back in November and I am already on my third "start over." I only watch it after I am through for the evening and too exhausted to clean anymore or do anything even remotely functional. I am seriously starting to wonder if the fact that this is the only thing I watch anymore means there is something seriously wrong with me.

And then I realize, each time I start over again, that Walter is "Fringe" to me and that I wish Walter were real (not John Noble, whom I like but nowhere near adore as much as Walter, the character he plays) and that he is the heart of the show, though the entire cast is just magnificent, all of the ensemble creating wonderful nuances in each of their characters.

Whether Walter is trying to find the 'perfect' strawberry milkshake recipe or is playing his favorite music (on vinyl, ranging from Bach to Bowie), he is both endearing and brilliant in what he loves and how thinks. 

No comments: