Monday, July 11, 2011

Destroyed
"Destroyed" is sounding pretty awesome to me right now. I like Moby's most recent album more than anything he's done since "Play" in 1999. And the title is pretty accurate.

So many of the songs are full of the kind of emotion that only comes from having been through the wringer. Moby himself has said that the music was inspired by the feeling of isolation you can get being all alone in the middle of the night in a barren city.

There are some soulful tracks, like "The Right Thing," that go down easy like your favorite drink and help ease the loneliness, but the real kick in the gut is “The Day,” where he brings to mind David Bowie in his Heroes days. The sound is so sad and haunting it's almost devastating, especially when you really take in what the song is all about.

I've only had one evening to listen to this gorgeous album so there are still a lot of things about it I have missed. Some of the critical reviews I have read are ready to dismiss this as average, but I think that's a mistake...'cause there's a lot of yet to be discovered beauty here...

No comments: