Monday, June 16, 2014


Of all the books I've ever tried to read Ulysses is the hardest and most ghastly. My experience with reading it in college definitely did not leave me with favorable impressions nor did a more recent attempt. It may be nearly incomprehensible to some of us, but one thing the novel is not is boring.
 
Between seeing the above picture of David Foster Wallace's notes on Joyce's infamous behemoth or having recently started a copy of Kevin Birmingham's fascinating The Most Dangerous Book: The Battle ForJames Joyce's Ulysses, I can't stop thinking about the book I love to hate.
 
In mentioning other titles that caused lots of trouble in the early 20th century, Mr. Birmingham refers to Married Love by Dr. Marie Stopes. I downloaded it through Google Play and am finding it fascinating...particularly because it's so ahead of its time.
 
You can find a free copy here:
 
 
more about Married Love here
 
 
And speaking of books, Buzzfeed posted this awesome article:
 


No comments: