Saturday, February 28, 2015

Saturday night music


Maybe it's the oven cleaner fumes I've been exposed to this evening while doing things around my place, but I really am enjoying Rod Stewart's Blondes Have More Fun album, which I found on Amazon Prime and is apparently one of his less received albums from the late 70s.
 
I like a lot of it though, so far. "The Best Days Of My Life" reminds me of what I like most about his craggy, sincere, classic rock-ready voice. "Blondes [Have More Fun]" is really lots of fun...you kind of want to be dancing on a wooden floor with your best dancing boots on and a pool table in the corner of the room.
 
There are some favorable reviews on Amazon (see Mr. Vengeance's review), but most critics didn't seem to like that much:
 
 
The below review is right on target (I mean, come on, that cover?), but I got to say I still like this album. It's kind of mindless, which I definitely need right now, though I'd rather skip the fourth grade flashbacks I'm getting from "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy."...some of the kids in class singing it out loud during recess like they knew what it was all about. I remember how taboo it seemed back then...how funny that sounds now.
 
In its simplest terms, Blondes Have More Fun is Rod Stewart's disco album, filled with pulsating rhythms and slick, synthesized textures. It's also his trashiest, most disposable album, filled with cheap come-ons and bad double entendres. Of course, that makes Blondes Have More Fun one of his most enjoyable records, even if all the pleasures are guilty. With its swirling strings and nagging chorus, "Da Ya Think I'm Sexy?" was the reason the record hit number one, and decades later, the song stands as one of the best rock-disco fusions. The rest of the record isn't as engaging, but he throws out a handful of winning tracks in the same mold, including "Ain't Love a Bitch," "Attractive Female Wanted," and the title track. --

No comments: