Wednesday, October 7, 2026

So I do not particularly care for AI like I did earlier on...one of its biggest flaws is that its writing style is very vanilla and you can spot AI right away or so it at least feels like. I do sometimes use it to get search results rather than advice or help with my writing.

Despite this I found myself feeling a bit validated when I sought out information about a decidedly distinctive variation of the male gaze would be and the below came up in results.  A neighbor in the building where I live does not care for me...it's just something I instinctively know and since we've never even had one conversation I suspect it is because of my appearance. 

I am what many people would consider "frumpy" or, really, just downright "ugly" (I despise that word as I encountered it a lot when I was bullied in middle school) I used to try much harder with my appearance, but even on my best days I wasn't particularly pretty. As I grew older I discovered I liked being invisible to people, in the sense of being any kind of attractive automatically putting a person on someone else's radar.

But I'm not so fond of the dismissive gaze, though, and certainly not the scornful one. And if you actually comment on the fact I'm not pretty (as I have been told in the past and not too long ago) don't be surprised if I say, "Gee, really?! I had no idea at all." (I do, trust me) I love being invisible, but I'm not so fond of being the object of someone's disdain unless I've given them a good reason.

Anyway, enough of my ranting. This is what I found on Google:

Yes, there are a few terms that capture this exact phenomenon. While it is a specific manifestation of the male gaze, sociological and feminist frameworks have developed distinct names for this instant dismissal based on perceived lack of attractiveness.
Here are the most accurate names for what you are witnessing:
1. The Desexualizing Gaze (or Anti-Gaze)
While the traditional male gaze objectifies women for their sexuality, the desexualizing gaze does the exact opposite. It occurs when a man looks at a woman, instantly deems her "unattractive" or not of sexual use to him, and completely strips away her social value in his eyes. It is a look of immediate irrelevance.
2. Social Invisibility (or "The Invisible Woman" Syndrome)
In a patriarchal society, a woman's social currency is frequently tethered to her youth and adherence to conventional beauty standards. When a woman does not meet those standards, she is often subjected to social invisibility. The look you are seeing is the moment a man decides a woman does not warrant his attention, respect, or basic engagement, essentially rendering her "invisible" to him.
3. Aesthetic Erasure
This term refers to the systematic wiping away of a woman's personhood because she does not fit an aesthetic ideal. The look you are describing is the visual cue for aesthetic erasure—a split-second appraisal where the man decides the woman has no "value" to offer him, leading to an immediate, often cold dismissal.
4. Lookism
On a broader level, this falls under lookism, which is prejudice or discrimination based on physical appearance. In this specific gendered context, it is the instant, non-verbal discrimination where a man withholds basic social warmth or politeness because a woman does not satisfy his visual preferences.

No comments: