Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Appetite for Destruction


Guns N' Roses were never my thing the first time around. I couldn't understand the passion some of my classmates had for the band. But the other day I picked up Appetite for Destruction on a whim and now it's been on player most of the week. I can't believe I never gave these guys a thought way back in the late 80s when "Paradise City" was the place so many teens wanted to go.

If an album remains a classic (as "Appetite" has) then there's really no need to revisit it and wonder at its staying power. Classics never go out of style and besides, new albums (especially by talented emerging artists) probably deserve more review room anyway.

And really, who am I to say that Appetite for Destruction is amazing?...I don't write for Rolling Stone, I have no music experience at all and everyone pretty much already knows this was one of the most solid-selling albums in the late 80s, generating 4 Top 40 hits and some of the most wonderfully unrestrained sounds in rock history.

For me, nothing cures a bad day like coming home, putting on my headphones and listening to something freakin' wild that's loud and mean and isn't the kind of music you'd ever take home to your parents (unless, of course, they grew up in the 80s!)

No comments: