Sunday, August 21, 2011

The July 25th cover of The New Yorker (called "Wedding Season") is one that truly caught my eye and touched my heart...I only found out about it after reading this:


August 15, 2011

I wept when I saw Barry Blitt’s cover of two brides walking hand in hand across the Brooklyn Bridge (“Wedding Season,” July 25th). The image reminded me of my parents, who were closeted gay women in the nineteen-fifties. They were both teachers, and bravely raised me, their daughter, in our happy but very secretive household. Wedding vows were beyond their realm of possibility or even imagination, but these many years later I still have the intimately inscribed copies of Kahlil Gibran’s “The Prophet,” which they exchanged in lieu of vows.

Patricia Lambert
Santa Barbara, Calif.


Read more http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/letters/2011/08/15/110815mama_mail1#ixzz1VhJ4npit

No comments: