Monday, April 22, 2019

Not everyone is okay with that!

Some people will speak as though they are speaking for everyone and very few things drive me more up the wall than this. 

Take, for instance, women who say they don't mind if people smell their hair or touch them (either sexually or non-sexually) or kiss their hands. They make it sound as if people who do have a problem with this are the ones with the problem and I just don't think that is the case.

The older I get, the less I like to be touched, especially unexpectedly and without invitation. It amazes me that some people have absolutely no idea of boundaries, both emotional and physical, though right now I am thinking mostly of the latter. Working in the public, I can say that it is even more amazing how few strangers get this.

What follows below is one of the best articles I have ever seen on personal space and what to do if it is invaded:


https://www.printfriendly.com/p/g/2VR8qq


I tried to directly paste the article here, but it ends up showing very oddly.

The most important and reassuring aspect I found is right here (referring to someone who calls you on your not like being touched):

She may respond with, “Well, that’s just how I am,” at which point your response can be: “And this is how I am. Please respect that.”



"Please respect that." Three simple words that should be taken to heart by the personal spoken to and truly (truly) followed.

No comments: