Thursday, December 8, 2011

...don't take this the wrong way...

After four previous attempts I have finally passed the point in The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo where I had given up because I found the early parts boring.

My friends really want to see the upcoming American film version so I decided the fifth time would be the charm and I would get through this novel.

Finally (!!) I find myself intrigued enough to keep reading, but at the same time I also continue to be kind of baffled by its amazingly huge popularity. The plot is certainly compelling, but the writing feels lackluster and the people rather passionless.

Still, there is one line from The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo that rings so true with me and makes me think of how I wish I'd behaved in situations where I meant well, but most likely drove someone crazy.

One of the characters tells Lisbeth Salander (the girl with the dragon tattoo): "I understand that you don't want anyone interfering in your life and I'll try not to do that. But is it okay if I continue to like you?"

It's the perfect thing to say to someone whom you want to know you admire and care about, but will never ever act in any kind of ill-received way. Or, at least, it seems that way to me :)

2 comments:

LitLover said...

Glad I found your blog! I've been trying to get through this book for a long time and I keep putting it down again for extended periods of time...*sigh*. Maybe I should try again.

http://fortheloveoflit-litlover.blogspot.com

or

http://pagewhatever.blogspot.com

just a girl said...

Thanks! I'm looking forward to reading your blog! Sadly, I have not gotten much farther with The Girl and her dragon tattoo...still hoping to, though. Not sure why I can't get into into it with the passion my friends have!:)